Wednesday, June 6, 2012

My First Track Workout Since 2001

Today is National Running Day. How are you celebrating? I'll be running 5 miles tonight as recovery for my speedwork yesterday.

Every Friday my coach sends me my workouts for the upcoming week, which is nice because then I have time to coordinate my schedule and mentally prepare for the impending speedwork. This week's speedwork was a "ladder" as follows: 400, 800, 1600, 800, 400. As soon as I saw what I was supposed to do, I knew it was a workout meant for the track. When I told Toph I was headed for the track, he seemed confused that running in circles would be more fun than out on the trail. I haven't been on a track since high school so I was absolutely giddy at the mere thought of running on a real track. I arrived and instantly felt like I belonged there. (Maybe because I participated at a track meet at said track when I was in high school.) It was kind of a weird feeling. I ran around a few times to get in my 1.5 mile warm up and determine my preferred lane. I had a side cramp to start that went away once I got moving. Thank goodness for warm ups! Once I got rolling, I nailed all my splits. I know that you don't walk away from every speed workout feeling confident, but at this one, I did. I met my all of my goals and pushed it in the 2nd half. It was a great workout and one of those days when you can't help but think "OMFG I LOVE RUNNING!!"

I whipped out the camera and took some pics on the cool down as I couldn't contain my excitement. Smiles all around. When's the last time you had a workout that you couldn't help but smile (and maybe brag a little) about?


And the winner of the 5k entry is...
Marty S!

Congrats Marty! Please contact me immediately to claim your prize! runningkellometers at gmail dot com

17 comments:

  1. Congrats on the speed work Kelly! Yesterday, I felt all smiles after my run too b/c I hit my goals after my rough running month (and traning season). I'm really starting to feel much better and that maks me so happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love track workouts! Going fast is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speed workouts are so fun! I was dreading mine last night but was soooo happy when I was done. Something about pushing the limits really is fun!

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was nervous excited about it and when it went well, I became more ecstatic with each passing split. haha!

      Delete
  4. Yay for track workouts! I want to plan one for our FNRC run one of these days... After some of the Thursday races die down...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw your tempo run on FB (or DM, can't remember). So excited for you! Cheers to many more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY for hitting all your splits!!! I have not been on a track in a long time. I like to do my speedwork on the roads/trails but think the track may be a fun change.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, i have never run on a track before! (This might be a shock, but i didn't run track ever. shocking, i know.) I wouldn't even know which direction to run!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy National Running Day!

    Yay for a terrific speedwork session, that is the best feeling ever! Keep that momentum going!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a pretty track! Way to take it to the track and show it who's boss.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are arrows and lane numbers so it helps you in the right direction. I like looking at all the different marks, remembering what they mean. It helps distract me for a short time while I'm busting my butt. "Those tick marks are where the hurdles go, but for the 100m or 300m?" Haha Track Nerd Alert!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Emily! Same to you! I'm hoping I can keep it going for several more weeks to come. My goal half marathon is on July 22--judgement day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks! I loved the track and will definitely make a point to go there more often, when the workouts call for it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. If there is no one else using the track, you can run any direction you want. Sometimes it's good to alternate direction so your legs get an even work out (I always forget to do this). I think generally you run counter-clockwise though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The track was totally fun! I liked the change of scenery and the feeling of being 16 and in high school again. There weren't a lot of people out there, and everyone pretty much stayed in their lane so it was nice to have a focus on when the workouts were starting/ending. It was totally amazing and I would recommend it to anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  15. By chance is your goal half marathon on July 22 the Rock N Roll Chicago ? If so, I will see you there!!! And you are going to do fantastic - it sounds like having a running coach has been incredibly beneficial for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes! My goal half is July 22! We'll have to try to have a meetup spot before or after the race to say hi to the different bloggers beforehand! :) Best of luck in your training leading up to then as well!

    ReplyDelete