Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Finally, Progressive Run Success

When I had my first meeting with my coach, I told her that I had some difficulties with progressive runs in the past. Since she believes they are a useful training tool, she has been suggesting them as part of my workout routine. I have to say, they are much less mentally challenging than they were when I started. As I've said before, I'm pushing my body to limits I've never thought to reach before. On the schedule was a 10 mile run this weekend. Temperatures were awful all day on both Saturday and Sunday so I waited until the evening on Sunday. The temps were still warm (high 70s) but the sun wasn't a factor and there was a small breeze. I don't want to fall into my old habits from last summer as I have to allow myself to acclimate to the heat. Last year I probably would have done this run on the treadmill to avoid any heat at all. Baby steps, right?

I headed out and did some loops around my neighborhood. In case I was feeling weak from the heat, I wanted to be close to home. In my area, there aren't a lot of sidewalks so I stayed within the busy street limits and the route got real boring real quick. That's okay though, it served its purpose and I got it done. The first 6 miles were to be at an easy pace, picking things up the last 4 miles. At first I was a little worried as to how things would shake out. I'd like to think this run was a success as I was able to do just that. I had to make a quick pit stop part way through the run to use the rest rooms but I made sure it coincided with my energy chew consumption to minimize the amount of time stopped.
Sweaty and ready for round 2

I headed back out and finished things up strong with my last mile being the quickest, yet I still felt controlled and challenged (yet not completely spent). It was a great run, but the next day my lower extremities were a little sore. Thank goodness for compression. It was a warm day so I wanted to see if I could get away with wearing my CEP Compression shorts under a pencil skirt.
SUCCESS

I only have one workout this week until the Jim Gibbons 5k on Thursday. It is a goal race and I already have several race day outfits laid out. If you are going to be completing the Jim Gibbons 5k, come meet up with us! It will be a fun time and the temps don't look like they'll be too bad. This really is a great race and I hope to see you there! Then, this Sunday is the Warrior Dash that I will be completing with my husband. I want to get a photo of us both jumping over fire together to hang in our living room. I think it would be a cool statement piece. :)

11 comments:

  1. I always dreaded those progressive runs that Britt gave me but always LOVED them when I was doing them. It feels so powerful to be in the last few miles of your run and going the fastest! It really gives you confidence to know you can run fast and strong! WTG! I am excited to hear about your two races this week!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a secret compression short wearer too! I actually prefer them under my pencil skirt and dresses b/c it makes me feel safer ;) lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, I enjoyed wearing compression under my skirt, I didn't have to worry about always sitting like a lady. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree! That is probably why Britt likes to give them to us. Hehe. I'm super excited for the Jim Gibbons! Yay for races! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm jealous of you getting to do the warrior dash! For the last two years, I feel like I always have something going on when there's one in the area... gah. Good luck with the 5k on Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im going to attempt my first progression run this weekend thanks to our coach :) Im mildly terrified to do this outdoors, with wind and stuff, away from my safety blanket of Treadie LOL.

    Good luck on your 5K this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is really fun! Now though I feel there are so many similar races throughout the area (Muddy Buddy, Tough Mudder, Spartan, Mud Girl, Hell Run)... Thanks! I'm super excited for Thursday. I just hope it isn't too toasty...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck!! I'm sure you will totally rock it out. I actually found the progressive runs to be easier to do outside than on the treadmill. Maybe that is just because I find running out side (in general) to be easier than running on the treadmill? I can't wait to read how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on a good run! Compression shorts are like my new Spanx. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, I agree!! Can't fit into those jeans? No problem! Just wear some compression shorts under! I've totally done this on casual Fridays after a tough speed workout on a Thursday. Winning!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the compressions shorts under the skirt! Good luck with the race--a Thursday race, btw? Pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete