Thursday, May 29, 2014

JP Morgan Chase Corporate Challenge Race Recap

Every year my company participates in the Corporate Challenge event. The past few years I haven't been able to participate due to scheduling and pregnancy (it is a crowded race, didn't want to trip). The race takes place in the evening on the Thursday before Memorial Day. This year I decided to sign up and have some fun. I made arrangements to drive to work so I wouldn't be married to the train schedule. I packed a few outfit options and got ready. I forget how challenging it can be to prepare for an evening race, as you have a lot of decisions to make during the day that can affect your performance.

As part of my company's running/walking club, we got to the tent early to set up and get ready for the event. It was chilly while we were waiting so I'm glad I was prepared with some additional layers.
You can see some of the tents set up in the background. This is a HUGE event for corporate Chicago and it is filled with people that don't usually run. It is not really a great race to PR (plus it is an odd distance at 3.5 miles), but it is definitely a fun one to harbor some friendly competition among employees!

I started off slow as that was the plan for the day. But, I felt so good I decided to pick it up and see how I feel. I wasn't going to push it really hard, just a little faster than "easy." I was so excited with the adrenaline of being a race, feeling my legs turnover, passing people... I may have picked it up quite a bit (mile splits: 9:13, 8:55, 8:27). Final clock time was 30:41. I thought it would be awhile before I saw mile splits in the 8's. Looks like I'm stronger than I thought. Our bodies sure are funny that way!


After crossing the finish line, I headed back to our tent to enjoy some sandwiches and beverages. It was a beautiful night and if I didn't have Patsy waiting for me at home, I might have stayed a little while longer. All-in-all, this is such a fun event that I hope to do again in the future. If your company participates, I highly recommend joining in on the fun.

9 comments:

  1. Great job Kelly! Looks like you are bouncing back quite nicely!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice negative splits, speedy! Wish I could have run this one. Oh well, maybe next year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather BarnsteinMay 29, 2014 at 3:41 PM

    Nice splits!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! I've never done this race but have heard so many bad things about it. Glad you had a good experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I highly recommend it if your company participates!

    ReplyDelete