Friday, June 21, 2013

Fashion Friday: My Thoughts on Maternity Clothes

This weekend I'm at Mall of America doing some shopping, so I felt it was only appropriate to have a Fashion Friday post listing some of my thoughts on clothes available at various maternity stores.

Oh maternity clothes. I was so very overwhelmed at various stores, while being super excited at the same time. I've had some friends that were very anti-maternity clothes, wearing their own clothes as long as possible. I did some things to prolong my usual wardrobe. I bought a belly band (which served me well for a few months). I used the old elastic on the button trick which was helpful during those first few (or several) nauseous weeks. But then, when the belly band became uncomfortable and more cumbersome, I started to invest in some pieces, especially for the office. There are lots of maternity stores out there and here are my thoughts on some of the major ones.

Top (under the cardigan) from Motherhood
Destination Maternity/Motherhood: This is the brand that many of my friends have tried and liked. I have felt very differently and was continuously disappointed. Maybe that is because I'm a big sale, discount, coupon shopper and they don't often have good coupons or good sales. (Sorry but buy 3 get 1 free... I don't want 4 items, how about just 1 or 2?) I got a few t-shirts from here, but nothing to write home about. I thought things were overpriced for the perceived quality of the items. And I thought their dress pants were cut a bit too inappropriate for the office.


Top: Old Navy tee. Jeans: Gap Maternity
Old Navy: They have great casual and everyday items. Also, Old Navy is known for having great sales and coupons available too. I have gotten a few work-appropriate things here, but most of the items I've gotten are more for weekend and after-work wear. Their website is pretty comparable to their store, although the website might even have a better selection. Not all stores carry maternity so be sure to check online or call before shopping.


Top and jeans are both Gap Maternity
Gap: This is where I've gotten majority of my items from. I have been able to find nice tops that are appropriate for work or the weekends. I have also gotten some nice support tanks that I've been wearing almost every day. Their website selection and pricing is dismal and disappointing to say the least. I've had really, really great luck in their store and have gone back again and again (today, for example, I just realized my entire outfit is from Gap Maternity). Not all stores carry maternity so be sure to check online or call before venturing out.


Top underneath cardigan: ASOS Maternity
ASOS: This is a European based company, I believe, and a lot of their stuff is cute and chic. Their items are only available online but they have free shipping both ways. I have a few tank tops from here and I've been eyeing a few dresses and pairs of shorts. I'll probably make some more purchases from the site before the pregnancy is over, but I love what I've gotten thus far.


My mom and I on Mother's Day. My top is from Ann Taylor Loft Maternity
Ann Taylor Loft: Their maternity section is newer (within the last 4-5 years) and it is only available online. I find this to be extremely disappointing, but I just wait for a good sale and purchase a few items. This is where I've gotten majority of my work pants. Their dress pants are work appropriate, hold up well, have good reviews, and are fairly timeless. I don't mind spending the money on a pair of pants if I know I'll be able to wear them for further pregnancies. Also, I've gotten a few tops and dresses and received many compliments on them. The maternity items for Loft are just as wonderful as the regular items from Loft.


Top: Liz Lange Maternity, Shorts: Old Navy Maternity
Liz Lange for Target: I've been very underwhelmed with the items at Target. For starters, their maternity section is right next to the plus size section. The racks are kind of intertwined and you don't really know what you're looking at until you get up close. I've tweeted to Target that the arrangement of these sections is offensive to both parties. They responded to my tweet saying something about "thanks for the feedback" but, shockingly, nothing has changed in the stores. I haven't really found anything I've liked all that much, or been willing to pay the price for. I did get a pair of black dress pants online that I really like (they actually came in a size long) and a few tees on clearance, and that is about it.

I know TopShop and A Pea in the Pod are other maternity stores, but I found their items to be quite outside my price range. After all, I'll only be wearing these clothes for a few months so why spend the big bucks?! If you've been pregnant, where did you find your maternity clothes? Did you have some of the same thoughts as me? If not, what was your experience? As I still have 3 months to go in this pregnancy, I'm still very open to suggestions!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much! Yes, why is maternity stuff so overpriced!! Who wants to spend $50 on a dress that they'll wear a handful of times over the course of a few months. Ugh.

    And I totally agree on the billowy stuff. I want something with some waist definition. I don't want to look like a boob/bump blob!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of my maternity clothes, including the most comfortable Maternity Shorts I found were from Burlington Coat Factory. They have a great selection and I love their discounts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't even know Burlington Coat Factory sold maternity clothes. I'll have to check them out. Thanks so much for the tip!

    ReplyDelete