Friday, April 26, 2013

Friday Recipe: Vegetarian Chicken Salad

Yesterday I had a taste for chicken salad. When looking for recipes, Pinterest was my go-to, naturally. However, it seemed like they had a lot of recipes for salads with chicken on top, but no recipes that were fitting what I was looking for. I told my mom about it and she emailed me a delicious sounding recipe that had all the ingredients I had a taste for.

3 fake chicken breasts
1 cup seedless grapes, halved
1/2 cup granny smith apples
handful of chopped almonds
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce (for your vegetarian/vegan Worcestershire needs, check out FakeMeats.com!)
1/4 cup Greek yogurt
1/4 cup mayonnaise
Rolls to put crap on (I opted for pretzel rolls versus the traditional croissant)
Makes 4-5 healthy servings

The recipe really called for 1 small minced onion, 1 cup chopped celery, and a 1/2 cup mayonnaise. The hubs hates raw celery so I omitted it. We also are not huge fans of raw onion either so I went with the onion powder instead. Also, to cut down on some of heaviness of traditional "salad" types, I halfed the mayo and subbed for Greek yogurt.


The best thing about this recipe is that it didn't really require much. While the 3 chicken breasts were cooking, I had time to dice the green apple, half the grapes, measure out the rest of the spices and ingredients in a bowl. Since the "chicken" only takes a few minutes on each side, everything was done and ready within 10 minutes.


I really loved that this recipe had the sweet aspects of the grapes and apples, but the savory aspects of the chicken and Worcestershire sauce. I highly recommend this recipe which is why I wanted to share it with all of you!

11 comments:

  1. Yum! What does healthy serving translate to roughly? I have trouble holding back at pinterest meals and the such! NOM NOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like the hubs and I eat more in a single serving than is probably recommended. For a normal family (especially with kids that wouldn't be eating as much as an adult), it probably makes about 6 servings. I hope that is helpful! I just pinned this on Pinterest too, in case you were looking to do the same! ;)
    http://pinterest.com/pin/228065168602400424/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every time I search for a recipe for a salad with chicken on top, chicken salad seems to come up :)


    I think you made a Waldorf Salad! But I like the use of greek yogurt to cut down on the amount of mayo in the salad, and definitely love pretzel rolls instead of croissants. I could eat those (with crap on them, LOL) all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe that's why I couldn't find what I was looking for. I should have looked for Waldorf Chicken Salad! The Greek yogurt has that thick consistency and tangy taste. I've subbed it when I've made avocado egg salad so I was hoping the taste wouldn't be that different. I felt it was an appropriate richness (those all-mayo salads can be a bit too rich for me). The discovery of these pretzel rolls may be a blessing and a curse. I want them all the time now! Thankfully the Mariano's by our house isn't super close, so you kind of have to plan to go there to buy them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny you mentioned that, I'm making avocado egg salad for lunch! I love the use of avocado and/or greek yogurt in salads like these. Pretzel rolls are, unfortunately, available at every grocery store by me, so I just have to avoid the bakery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Avocado egg salad is my favorite thing! I could eat it every day. Here is the recipe I use. Except, I use 4-5 eggs (instead of all those egg whites and wasted egg yolks) and I use greek yogurt instead of regular yogurt. I think the red wine vinegar is what makes it! http://pinterest.com/pin/228065168600025920/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing! I was going to wing it, but never would have thought to add the vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Let me know how it turns out! I hope you enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was really good! I used one egg and added some tuna, and it was really yummy and filling (though, sadly, just on wheat bread instead of pretzel rolls). Thanks again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This really sounds like something Steven would like! Of course, I sent the recipe to him :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Blocking financial margins while in effect is short in the U.
    solar outside lights licenses could make for fewer
    nasty divorce battles. So, we have started to expand our revolving credit
    facility. At this point, we don't have a cost of about $0.

    my weblog - renewable crude oil

    ReplyDelete