Thursday, December 13, 2012

Treadmills, Potato Pancakes and Brunch Plans

Tuesday I got the chance to actually work out on the treadmill. I haven't run on a treadmill in awhile and I was reminded why I am not a fan of that device. I felt like I couldn't find a steady stride, and I kept getting static shocked from the "safety bar" whenever I would accidentally touch it. (I'm not sure if this is because my iPod earphones were rubbing against the bar or what.) Either way, it made for a very uncomfortable run. And, in true FWP form, the free wifi at the gym kept going in and out so I couldn't watch the old episode of The Office I was planning on. It was really annoying, but luckily I had some jams on my iPod I was still able to crank up. When you're out running by yourself, do you sometimes sing the words to the songs out-loud? Or am I the only one that does this? At the gym, I was mouthing the words, without saying anything out-loud and other folks around me probably thought I was a weirdo. It's alright, I was trying to have some fun while running on the treadmill. That can sometimes be hard to do. Lol.

Xaarlin (who blogs at Pain is Nothing) and I had made plans via Twitter to meet for lunch at the Chriskindlemarket in Chicago. Our first date was thwarted by rain so we rescheduled for yesterday. It was great to finally meet her in person (as it always seems to be when meeting fellow running bloggers). We chatted over some delicious potato pancakes, and oogled over all of the chocolate covered fruit and strudels while trying to restrain ourselves. We both bought some cool Christmas ornaments while talking a lot about or fur babies. I don't know what is up with me lately, but I didn't take a photo of the delicious food (I was too focused on eating it before it got cold). And then Xaarlin and I forgot to take a photo together too. I know, I don't know what I was thinking.

Tonight is our group run and I'm very much looking forward to it. Our group has grown quite exponentially lately and I think it has a lot to do with our consistency. Rain or shine, light or dark, snow or sunshine... we will be out there, at 6:30pm, regardless.
Here is our group from last Thursday (12/7/2012)... Love this group of folks!

This weekend, a bunch of Chicago Running Bloggers will be heading to Erin's house for a Christmas brunch after a fun run. The internets shall be aflutter with posts, Instagrams, and tweets of the event, you can probably count on it!  I'm having dreams of our Zooma weekend and I'm very much looking forward to it. We are doing a grab bag gift exchange too! It might even turn into a game of Yankee Swap so we shall see! There is also going to be a costume contest. I like dressing up so I'm going for the prize. I think I'm going to have some stiff competition though. We'll see who comes out with the win! If you're looking to follow the shenanigans checkout the hashtag #CRBholidaze to follow along on Twitter and Instagram.

Do you have anything planned this holiday season that you're really looking forward to??


13 comments:

  1. It was lovely to finally meet you! And once I got to my office, I thought about taking photos.. Whoops!

    I run on the tread a lot during the week and also mouth the words to songs. Sometimes I actually kind of "dance." you're not alone ;)

    Can't wait for Saturday!! #CRBholidaze

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, the dancing. I totally do that too. There may or may not be lots of pointing (my main dance move) in front of that treadmill TV screen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally sing out loud when I am running outside. Luckily I live in a rural area so it is just the cows that are looking at me. I also mouth the words to songs while I am at the gym. I thought I was the only weirdo to do this. Glad I now know I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was at the Christkindlmarket one year, waiting in line for the delicious potato pancakes. The line was really long and barely moving. The old German guy who was making them was poring the uncooked potato mix very slowly onto the griddle to make the pancakes. A guy in line shouted at him, "why don't you hurry up, there are lots of people in line?!" The German guy looked up for a second and very calmly replied: "Quality takes time." and went back to making the pancakes at his typical slow pace! Shows a difference in culture, maybe? The wait is definitely worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We went at 11:30-11:45 and tried to beat the lunch time rush. There is definitely a difference in culture which is part of the reason why I love going there every year! :) If you are in a rush to eat, go get some fast food, honestly... I agree, it is definitely worth the wait! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, turns out, there are quite a few of us that do this... Runnerds unite!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally sing out loud when I'm out running by myself (and have been known to play air drums)...that's how my ex and I started talking. lol. I will also mouth the words at the gym.

    Where you going to watch the episode of the office where they run a 5k??? hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I look forward to seeing your face. :)

    And, for the record, whenever i run by work the trail is totally empty, and i full out dance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy you got to meet up with Xaarlin! She is fab! :)

    You know, I think I do sing along out loud. LOL. Even if I am not playing music.

    I am looking forward to the party on Saturday! I am taking bribes for my costume vote, FYI ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. have a wonderful time! Wish I could make it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha, yes... I recently watched the episode where they run the 5k. I love how some of the folks go to the bar and get a few drinks, and then get dropped off at the finish line. That is quite a funny episode in more ways than 1.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yeah, guilty of that when running around my neighborhood. Folks looking out their window probably think I'm crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmm, I shall note a special bribing gift for Kim...

    ReplyDelete