Wednesday, November 7, 2012

My FakeMeats.com Loot

As I have mentioned a few times here before, my husband (Toph) is a vegetarian so most (if not all) the recipes I put together are vegetarian. I am always looking to give new products a try. When I heard more about FakeMeats.com during our Zooma weekend, I just knew I had to place an order.


All of the items are priced so it is cheaper or very comparable to buying in the store (plus, you get the warm fuzzier from supporting a local business). Since Toph is a huge jerky fan, most of my first order was jerky. Haha. Have you ever tried vegetarian beef jerky before? It is pretty outstanding! (Primal Strips Thai Peanut is my favorite.) They have several different variety packs too, if you don't want to commit to a single flavor.

My order included:
Primal strips variety pack x2
Stonewall jerky spicy variety pack
Soy Curls

Close-up of the Primal Strips

With all the crock pot recipes I've been making lately, I've struggled with what kind of fake meat product would work best. I have a feeling tofu would completely liquefy and some of the other products are more "ready to eat" and don't really absorb flavor. Soy Curls to the rescue! I haven't yet used them (as I haven't cooked a "real meal" in several days) but I just know they will be amazing. They come dried so if I use them when making a soup in the crockpot, they will absorb the broth as a way of re-hydrating them. (The website also recommends that they make a mean BBQ sandwich.)

Cooking is always a challenge for me so if I can find a good product that is easy and tastes great, sign me up! Do you often make vegetarian things? Do you go for fake meat products or just stick to veggies? Why or why not?

*In the interest of full disclosure, I was not compensated in any way for this review. I purchased these products with my own money, but did use a discount code. I just wanted to talk about some additional vegetarian options, outside of the "normal" stuff you'd find at the store.

11 comments:

  1. This stuff looks AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only fake meat I eat is Boca Burgers. I tried a tofu hot dog once and it wasn't half as tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, tofu dogs are not nearly as good as a good ole original kosher dog. I'm not a vegetarian but my husband is so I eat a lot of vegetarian things. Some are better than others. I like these fake meat jerkys because they don't smell like dog food (I think dog treats and normal beef jerky just look too much alike).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the awesome-o review! We really appreciate it!!! :) :) :)

    I can't wait to hear what you make with the soy curls. Soy curls tend to be most people's favorites! Even my very carnivorous BiL likes them!

    We use a lot of fake meats, but make sure to not eat them at every meal. But we are often sampling FakeMeats.com Meatless Meal Pack (debuting this year!) so we eat a lot of it. One of my favorites is soup with soy curls! That is what we made on Tuesday!!!

    I still think you should try Vegan Dream..

    Thanks again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm not a huge meat eater, not vegetarian, but i only really like chicken/turkey and then seafood so i'll eat fake meats now and then. i've never tried this brand, but like boca and Ives a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please cook with the soy curls and give a review! Kim recommended them and I am on the fence about buying them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, thanks! I have a few recipe ideas so I'll let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you tried Quorn? Their fake chicken frozen stuff is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never heard of this, thanks for the tip!! My mom is a vegetarian, recently turned vegan so I am always looking for ideas of things to make when she visits

    ReplyDelete
  10. No problem! I also recently made an enchilada soup recipe that can be made vegan (with non-vegan add-ins at the end). It was so delicious! It is under the "recipes" tab up top.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vegan Dream is on my list. I'm interested to hear more about this Meatless Meal Pack. Thanks for telling me about your website! I'd rather support your business than a huge grocery chain for obvious reasons.

    ReplyDelete