Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Rowing 101

As I have mentioned a few times before, we have a rowing machine in our basement. My husband's aunt and uncle were going to get rid of it and asked if we wanted it. We agreed and I've enjoyed it ever since. I really love it for cross training as it keeps the impact on the knees and feet low as you're working out your arms and back. I think it helps with toning in general, especially if you don't always have time to lift weights. Now that rowing is part of some cross fit workouts, it is definitely getting more press and most gyms have a few machines. I highly recommend checking it out, if you haven't already. Our glamorous rowing machine is pictured below. It has seen better days, but it gets the job done.

I have been using it for the past year, not really thinking much about form and just trying to mimic the form of those on Biggest Loser. However, it never once occurred to me to look up correct rowing form on YouTube until Monday.

Turns out, I've been doing it wrong this whole time. Oops! I guess that's what happens when you guess on something instead of looking it up. Since watching an intro video, I feel like a pro when I use the terminology (that they explain in the video). "Those last few drives were tough." etc. Lol


What is your favorite type of cross training? I usually get bored so I have to switch it up. How many days a week do you cross train? I try to do it once a week, but sometimes I'll fall off the bandwagon for a few weeks...

8 comments:

  1. The gym I'm going to right now and will probably sign up for has a few rowing machines and I was thinking of trying them out (I've tried them about 10 years ago). I think it's a great cross training exercise. I don't know if I have a favorite cross training. I love swimming but until now, didn't have a pool (and it's hard with my shoulder right now). I also love outdoor biking (but my bike has a flat). Sigh...cross train fail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's interesting. There are some rowing machines at the gym I go to and it's never occurred to me to use them. I'll give it a try some time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, you gotta get that flat tire fixed, fo sho! Thankfully, we have lots of cross training options!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've rowed a few times at the gym, but my usual preference for cross training is swimming. I don't really make a regular routine of cross training, since once I get in my runs for the week, plus at least one strength workout, I don't have much extra time. But, now that the marathon is over, I'm trying to make a better effort at mixing up my workouts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to do group exercises classes for cross-training. Alternately, getting out on my bike is fun in the summer. And, of course, strength training.

    I learned how to use the rowing machine in CrossFit (which I did for a month last year) but now I don't remember! I do recall it being quite the workout, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I sink rather than swim, I am totally jealous of you swimmers. I love having a cross training piece of equipment at home, otherwise I would probably do it less than I already do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep wanting to try out group classes at my gym, but I never make the time to do it. Hopefully that will change over the winter after I'm done with all of this studying. Thankfully we have the internets to help remind us how to do things... :)

    ReplyDelete