Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Spicy Sunday Run

Over the weekend I was at Toph's family cottage in Michigan. We spend a lot of time there in the summer and we kicked things off with a great Memorial Day weekend. I ran a race on Saturday, but that recap will be coming tomorrow.

The temps on Saturday were absolutely beautiful. Not too hot, slightly cool with a breeze. Overcast but still pretty humid. It was a nice day for a race. 24 hours later on Sunday, temps were in the mid-high 90s for most of the day, well into the evening. I had a 6 mile run on the schedule and I kept delaying it on Sunday in hopes that things would cool down. Wanting to be done in time for dinner, I headed out around 4:00 and the temp was at 97 degrees.


I knew my body wouldn't like the temps so I decided to take it slow and easy. The first 2 miles weren't so bad, but those miles were mostly in the shade. Miles 4 and 5 were mostly in the sun so I was happy when mile 6 was mostly shade again. My body is definitely not yet used to the heat, but I don't want to be afraid of it this summer. I let the heat get the best of me last year because I was afraid of it. I hid from it, ran on the treadmill, ran as much as I could to get away from it. On race day, it could be warm, and I need to be ready. Get ready summer! I'm coming for you! What are your thoughts on running in the heat? Mag Mile Runner did a great post about this last week here.

2 comments:

  1. wowsa, thats warm. I think it is going to be a fun sweaty summer for all of us! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know--It is time for me to no longer be afraid of the heat!

    ReplyDelete