Friday, February 14, 2014

2014 Race Goals

Well the 2014 racing season is just around the corner. As I'm struggling to balance everything as a new mom, working full time, my race goals have been revised than what I thought they would be before Patsy's arrival. I don't want to talk about what could have been, but keep it positive about what I can do and what I will do!
First stroller run of 2014

First things first, I will be continuing my tradition of running the Shamrock Shuffle. I've run this race every year since 2006, even when I was pregnant last year! My time goal is not something that I'm focusing on--instead I have my eyes on the post-baby PDR I will be setting. If you haven't run this race yet, have you been living under a rock?? Just kidding, kind of. I highly recommend it and I'm not alone!
Shamrock Shuffle 2013

I also have a few other races on the horizon. I'm ecstatic to announce that I am a Zooma Ambassador for the 2014 Chicago event! I had an absolute blast participating in the Great Lakes event back in 2012 (full recap here) where I spent the weekend with bloggers, carbs, wine, chocolate, and cheese. You know, all of the essentials! I'm sure there will be more great details to follow on how you can join me out on the lakefront for this fun event!
Zooma Great Lakes finish line 2012


Last year I was asked if I would like to participate in a Spartan event. Since I was pregnant at the time, I didn't feel it was a great idea for our little nugget. I was debating whether or not I should take the plunge this year, hearing how difficult and intense the race can be. I've decided to suck it up, stop being afraid, and go for it! I'll be joined by my friend (weight lifting buddy, crossfit rockstar, and great gal pal) Kate, who has made some previous appearances on the blog. She's going to help me train and get ready for this event.
Kate and I at the Warrior Dash 2012

I'm still determining the rest of my 2014 race calendar, but I think I have some really fun events on the horizon. I hope you stick around for the journey!

16 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have solid goals so far for 2014. And you are super smart for revising your running goals based on family, work and other circumstances. It would be so frustrating to pay $$$ for a race and then not be able to train properly for it and end up having a less than stellar experience. My motto for this year is to just keep running fun- races or not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there a better race to get back into racing than the Shuffle? :-) Glad you're keeping the streak going! I'll be back for year #2 lol (but like Pete, I've enjoyed spectating the Shuffle more than a few times too!). It's probably hard to not want to set goals for yourself after something big like having a baby, but I'm glad to hear that you're changing your goals and expectations a little now that you know what your new life with Patsy is really like. And it's kind of cool that you get to go through all of those PDRs again - that was one of my favorite parts of training last year, every week is a new milestone!


    And yay ZOOMA! I had such a great time at last year's race, and especially after-party :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, I am happy you get to be a ZOOMA ambassador this year (especially after your frustration with them in 2012)! I am anxious to hear what you think of that course, compared to the one we did! :)


    I have friends who LOVE the Spartan races! Which one are you going to do? The Sept one?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie @ Live Half FullFebruary 15, 2014 at 12:46 PM

    What a fun schedule! I'm a ZOOMA ambassador too- will you be doing the half or 10k? It's a post-surgery-get-back-into-running race and I could use all the running buddies I can get! Maybe we can runch once it warms up, I now have a gym in my building so I can shower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woohoo! I love these goals! I'll definitely see you at the Shuffle, and ZOOMA, too - obviously:) I can't wait for the weather to turn - maybe we can take our little ladies for runs on the OPT???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on being an ambassador again! And good luck with the schedule... I feel like nowadays, I sign up for races closer to race day just because I always have the "maybe have two other things going on that weekend, but not sure yet, so I should probably wait". Life... lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I've ever spectated the shuffle since I've always run it, but I imagine it is as fun as spectating the marathon (but in a much shorter time frame)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so true. I've been hesitant to sign up for anything post-baby and I'm glad I held off while I was still pregnant! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're right about the new PDRs! Although, this weather really needs to turn around. I'm getting annoyed with all of this snow! Ahh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks about Zooma! I'm very excited!


    Yes, I'm going to be doing the September Spartan!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm still debating the distance for Zooma. I know it would be fun to run a half but any running in August is a toss-up with the weather. You never know what you're going to get! And yes for those runches!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds like fun, once the OPT thaws!! It is still covered in so much snow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have actually never been a Zooma ambassador before, so I'm looking forward to it.


    Haha about your racing motto. This weather certainly doesn't help things either!!!

    ReplyDelete