Thursday, August 15, 2013

Throwback Thursday: High School Yearbook Edition

I know I haven't really been blogging all that much lately. To be honest, I have lots of run envy out there but I'm happily brewing Baby Wilson instead. This week the husband is on his "Dad Trip" which is a vacation that his friends wanted to take as his last big "hoorah" before becoming a dad. (He is one of the first of his close friends to become a Dad, but I have a feeling the others won't be too far behind.) Anyways, I've been occupying my time getting the nursery set up and playing with the pup. The other night I was putting something away in the closet and thought it would be funny to bring out the old yearbooks and see if there were any fun Track and Field photos. Oh and let me tell you. It did not disappoint. All of these photos are from my junior year of high school when I was about 17 years old.

As I may have mentioned before, I was on the "sprinting" squad. You know, because I'm obviously built for speed. Here is a sweet action shot of me setting up the starting blocks for a teammate as we set up for a relay. It was probably the 4x200m (I wasn't in the right clique to be on the 4x400m relay). I wish this photo wasn't in black and white so you could see how OBNOXIOUS my track spikes were. Seriously, they were super bright and loud, and I loved them. I actually bought them at Dick Pond Lisle, way back in the day. Oh yeah, and my hair was short and blonde back then. Hard to believe, am I right?
I'm the one on the left

Junior year I decided that I wanted to try some different field events. Hurdles and high jump didn't work out so well for me. They required a bit too much coordination that I just didn't have. Why not give long jump a try?

This picture CRACKS. ME. UP. Is it embarrassing if I still own (and wear) those running tights? I didn't think so. Yet again with those obnoxious spikes. What is up with my form? Or lack there of. I still had my no-muscle Olive Oyl arms. I actually wasn't a horrible long jumper for only doing it for a single season with no previous experience. I think those long legs worked to my advantage. I came in 6th place in our conference meet and I think that was the only time I actually earned my team some points at a conference event.

And then, the obligatory group shot.
I remember taking this photo like it was yesterday. I was due for some new sports bras so I was actually wearing 2 old and dingey white ones with my awesome uniform when this photo was taken. Thankfully with the black and white, you can't really tell. In case you don't know where I am, I've added a sweet arrow to help you find me.

Well, this has been an extremely fun trip down memory lane and has got me even more excited to watch the World Championships in Moscow this week and anxiously await my return to running in Winter 2013.

13 comments:

  1. Britt @ Chicago Runner GirlAugust 15, 2013 at 9:06 AM

    love that you got your spikes at DP lisle! back in the day that was one of the only places around that sold spikes, crazy that 10+ years later I'm working at the same place most people i know (myself included) bought their spikes back in the day. just making memories one kid at a time ;)


    i like that the pics are in b&w, makes them feel antique when you're traveling down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I thought that was funny. I remember a group of girls from the team made the pilgrimage from Oak Lawn to Lisle (which seemed like a million miles away) to buy our spikes. I'll have to look in the archives to see if I have any color photos of them. These were bright before bright shoes were a thing. Nice to know when family businesses have been around for years. They must be doing something right! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pics are so fun! I love that you have all those specific memories! Pictures really help with that, which is part of the reason I take so many.


    I am sorry you are having run envy and it's making you want to blog less! We still want to read your posts, even though you are on a running break! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw thanks! I really cherish the olden days of T&F. I was never into Cross Country (because, you know, I was a "sprinter"). I wish I had more photos! Those disposable cameras were expensive. ;)


    Thanks so much! I have a few drafts that have been sitting that perhaps I should finish up and post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda - TooTallFritzAugust 15, 2013 at 9:56 AM

    Awesome. LOVE the LJ action shot!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda - TooTallFritzAugust 15, 2013 at 9:58 AM

    I was a sprinter too but they still made me run XC. As a result, I rebelled and did a lot of walking. Even at meets. #NoShame LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, because when we are teenagers, we know EVERYTHING!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! I totally forgot this photo was in there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A part of me wishes I had done track or XC in high school! It can probably be fun if you have the right coach and team, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our coach was actually a DB so a bunch of us didn't come back our senior year. Oh memories!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You totally inspired my TBT post today. I need to scan some "action shots" from high school.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad! I love reading when others post them so why not post some of my own?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahh! These are awesome! I never ran track or XC in high school (played basketball instead) but I wonder if I would have done any good:) All I know is that I definitely would not have been a sprinter, so props to you!

    ReplyDelete