Thursday, August 29, 2013

Some Chicago Food Truck Love

Food trucks are the new craze in delicious dining in lots of cities throughout the U.S. Chicago is no exception, with the caveat that there are some strict rules in place which have made it difficult for some folks to conduct business. I've been a huge fan of this movement an have seen some delicious food trucks come and go as some found it was easier to close up shop than to deal with the regulations. There are certain food trucks that I've been following for a few years now, deliciously devoted. I never really thought that so many NEW food trucks would be popping up along the way, so I didn't really frequently check out new arrivals. The other day I came across an article talking about some of the food truck laws and it cited some new truck names that intrigued me. Thankfully with Twitter, lots of these trucks are super easy to follow.

Here is a list of some of my favorite Chicago food trucks. 

Cupcakes for Courage
As cupcakes are all the rage throughout the country, there are a variety of cupcake trucks on the streets (no surprise here). This has been one of my favorite trucks and their pink velvet cupcake is seriously the best cupcake I've ever had. I have dreams about it, literally. I've talked about my love for them before on here and my thoughts haven't changed. If you aren't in Chicago regularly to try some of their delicious treats, you can check out their storefront in Elmhurst (soon to be open on Sundays).


Beavers Donuts
It is no secret that since getting pregnant I have developed a love for donuts. This place makes them piping hot while you wait. They have more simplistic flavors if you're looking for a classic (cinnamon sugar, powdered). But they also have some delicious specialties (nutella and strawberry, turtle). This one now has a kiosk at the French Market too where you can pick yourself up a donut milkshake. Yes, you read that correctly. Best $5 I've ever spent. 


Cheesie's Pub Truck
This has been my newest discovery. I only JUST found out that the NBC tower has a swarm of food trucks on a regular basis. It is quite a bit of a walk from my office, but definitely worth it for how delicious the options are. Cheesie's specializes in grilled cheese sandwiches. If you are a fan of grilled cheese like yours truly, this place just might be heaven on earth. They also have two store-front restaurants if you happen to live close to either one (I do not). I have a feeling this will be one of my new favorites!


The Southern Mac and Cheese Truck
To be honest, I haven't visited this truck in recent months as they haven't been by my office building in quite some time. When I was marathon training, I would get their mac and cheese every single Friday afternoon. You know, carb loading before my Saturday morning runs. It was delicious and got me through some long miles! However, now that I discovered some of the local food truck-specific places, I'm hoping to track them down to get some of that deliciousness again!


Have you eaten from a food truck before? What are some of your favorite Chicago food trucks? Have any of your favorites that are worth trying? 

14 comments:

  1. Nice! I don't have much experience yet with food trucks. I need to pay better attention to their whereabouts. Since my office does the Fooda thing, I rarely leave my building for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Twitter is really how I got to know a lot of the locations and where to follow them. The grilled cheese truck is my newest favorite. I see lots of visits to them in my future. I like the idea of a food truck date before Baby Wilson's arrival! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie @ Live Half FullAugust 29, 2013 at 10:41 AM

    Let's walk to the NBC tower during lunch one day together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh I'm going to have to check some of these places out, especially the mac and cheese truck! I always forget about food trucks as a good lunch option. I believe there's a designated food truck zone 2 or 3 blocks from my office. Maybe I'll check it out today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm scared to follow food trucks, I know I'll get addicted and triple my lunch expenses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, you should definitely check it out, especially if it is so close!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, I find most food trucks to be cheaper than the traditional brick-and-mortar Chicago establishment--probably part of the reason restaurants are fighting against food trucks existence.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like food trucks, but what about beer? Why hasn't anybody done beer trucks yet? #beertrucks #drunkfluential

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love food trucks! However, I've only had cupcakes! I stumbled across Cupcakes for Courage a few weeks ago, and I love Flirty Cupcakes. I need to branch out, though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michelle @ Crazy Running LegsAugust 31, 2013 at 3:58 PM

    I love food trucks! Orlando seems to have a big food truck community and we try to enjoy them when they visit our side of town (Orlando is huge).


    That grilled cheese sandwich looks AMAZING. Oh - and you look adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes! There are so many good options! You gotta check them out before you move to the burbs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much! That grilled cheese was amazing. I just might need to go back sometime this week... :)

    ReplyDelete