Sunday, February 12, 2012

Cupid's Chase 5k Race Recap

Saturday morning I woke up to let the dog out and the temps were below freezing. I knew the planned 5k was going to be a rough one, weather wise. I packed some additional layers and headed out to drive back to the old stomping grounds in Old Town for the Cupid's Chase 5k in downtown Chicago. Amanda and I got there about an hour ahead of time to pick up our packets. Upon registering, they had an "unavailable/available" option. I didn't understand the option when registering (I thought it was related to running) so I picked "available." It seems obvious now, haha. Thankfully they let me switch it out upon arrival.

I thought it was a cute idea, I think they just should have explained the option on the website better. Other than that, the pickup was easy and I really appreciate when downtown races have race-day packet pickup. It is really helpful for those of us that live in the suburbs! We met up with Maggie and Genevieve pre-race to take some pictures!
Left to right: Amanda, me, Genevieve, and Maggie

As it was Saturday, we participated in the Sherry Arnold Virtual Run. We wore the Sherry Arnold bibs on our back and thought about her while we ran. 

Amanda and I were trying to break her old record, but with the snowy conditions and unshoveled trail, we knew it was going to be difficult. The first mile we were right on target, but with the weaving and such that took place, that was probably not the best idea to start out so strong. Our second mile split was behind, and we realized we weren't going to meet our goal. We finished strong and were happy with the end result regardless, 29:05. 
Finish line photo!
Special thanks to Nicole Fritz for taking our action shot photo! Overall, I thought it was a great race. The course was clearly marked (out and back) and I liked that it was an underutilized part of the lake front path, compared to other Chicago races.

Afterwards, we headed to breakfast at Nookies and it was wonderful. It totally hit the spot and was a great place to warm up with a warm cup of coffee. It made me really miss living in Chicago and the restaurants available at our disposal. It was a great end to a great morning and a great race. I would recommend this race to others as it was cute and not too expensive ($35) for a downtown Chicago 5k.

Special congrats goes out to Genevieve for PRing by over 3 minutes and chicking a guy too!

11 comments:

  1. Great job on your race! Brrr it looks cold in Chicago right now. How is it running in the snow? Is it slippery or do you feel like it slows you down at all? I would be nervous to run in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a very cold day! I think the temp was in the teens! Yikes! The snow wasn't too slick since it wasn't really icy. I wore my trail shoes that helped and they kept my toes dry too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a fun race! Did you see that Kate and Nicole were #1 and #2 for our age group?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I saw that... Great job to Nicole and Kate! It is so nice to get to meet more and more running folks through the blog and other running friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The available/unavailable is so cute! It's funny they didn't explain though...Great Race!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And the available shirt was cuter - red with white lettering. I kind of wished I had lied.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have been wondering about the available/unavailable thing too. Did they mark it on your bibs or something?

    Great time for such a cold day. You guys rocked it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was on the back of the shirts. There was a bubble when you registered but I didn't get it. I put "available" thinking, "I'm available to run??" It was a really cute idea, but I wish there would have been a note on the website or on registration. I saw people with sharpie marks on their shirts so I don't think I'm the only one that was confused. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, the red shirt was way cuter, especially for a Valentine's race. I guess that's why they gave it to the "available" people. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. The available/unavailable idea is so cute for Valentines' Day! How fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree! And, talk about a place for some great pickup lines!

    ReplyDelete