Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Stinky Clothes

After a hard race and some cross training on Sunday, I took yesterday as a rest day. I'm meeting up with Amanda tonight to do 3 or 4 miles in the hills of Palos. There is a chance of snow but I brought clothes for all sorts of weather conditions so it should be interesting!

I posted little awhile ago about laundry detergent. I'm having a tough time getting the smell of sweat out of my clothes. I've been using All Free & Clear (not because I'm allergic, but because it was on sale). However, my workout clothes were still stinky (like, super stinky) after washing them 2 or 3 times. Based on a friend's suggestion, I tried Arm & Hammer. Not the Oxi Clean stuff, just the regular kind. My clothes smell really fresh, but it just seems to be masking the sweat smell instead of actually getting rid of it. My husband and I don't support Procter & Gamble (because they still test on animals [what decade is this anyways?]) so Tide, Gain, and Wisk are out of the question. I've sent a few emails to smaller companies that have sport-specific wash to see if they can send me some free sample to review and possibly give away! Stay tuned! :) And if you have any suggestions, please please let me know via comments or email!

So, who watched the Bachelor last night? These girls are so catty and some of them are seriously crazy. The concept for this show is just so bonkers to me. But that hasn't stopped me from watching this season!

Since I don't have a new photo, I'm going to recycle an old one.
Have you ever tried vodka infused whipped cream? It is pretty amazing.

Also, thanks so much for all of your votes. It appears that Amanda has the most "likes" on Facebook and will be CARA's Athlete of the month! I couldn't be happier for her!!

And I do have 1 more question for you guys. I'm deciding what my February 5k should be. There are really only 2 options: Warm Your Heart and Cupid Chase. Here is a little summary of each. Which one would you choose??

Warm Your Hear 5k
Sunday, 2/26
$40 Registration
Indoors
Unsure of the course

Cupid Chase 5k
Saturday, 2/11
$35 Registration
Lakefront Path (expected frigid temperatures)
Single loop course

23 comments:

  1. I was looking at the Cupid Chase myself, mostly because i don't have a race to look forward to until almost April...

    I know companies like Nathan and Lululemon have special "sports gear" wash - i have seen it at sports authority and other places. I've never used it myself, but it might be worth a shot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goal is to do at least 1 race per month and the February selection is slim.

    I emailed and already heard back from Nathan. They're going to send me some samples in the mail. I'm going to do a product review and perhaps a giveaway?! We'll see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would choose the Cupid Chase. It might be cold, but outdoors and smaller fee ranks up there in my mind. Plus it sounds cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Cupid Chase does sound cute :) Thanks! I'm still not sure what I'm going to do...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Few things:
    1. Cupid Chase is on my bday! :)
    2. My run day with you is your rest day? lol
    3. Tried vodka infused chocolate whipped cream and it is delicious!! LOVE!! Haha! Although I love vodka anything actually!
    4. The woman on the bachelor this season are CRAZY! And did you know that the Biggest Loser has a higher success rate of relationships than the Bachelor? Just saying! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe I should do the cupid chase??? Hm...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, I meant to say I took "Yesterday" as my rest day... I will edit! Oops!

    I am also totally addicted to the Biggest Loser! I missed most of last week's episode :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cool would it be to run a race on your bday! I'm actually also thinking of maybe doing a 5k in Valparaiso as another February option. $20 registration and based on last year's times, I might snag an age award! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh and thanks for the votes guys. I ended up winning! :)
    Kelly, thanks for posting on here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha!! No worries. I read it like 4 times to make sure that's what it said! Too funny! Made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Note to self, don't start writing the next day's blog post right before you go to bed. Second note, PROOFREAD... Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would stay off the Lakefront!

    I am anxious to hear about your detergent dilemma. I have the same issues, and also don't like P&G (but do buy their stuff from time to time).

    ReplyDelete
  13. runningforthekitchenJanuary 18, 2012 at 2:37 AM

    i would do the cupid chase 5K!!
    i maker my own laundry detergent. its super cheap and works great! I posted the mix on my blog, but if you dont want to search, ill send it to you when im not at work

    ReplyDelete
  14. It seems as I'm leaning towards the Cupid Chase on Saturday with Amanda to try and help her PR on her birthday... and the Valentine's 5k in Valparaiso on Sunday. We'll see how that goes though. I haven't done 2 races in 1 weekend before.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow, I've never thought of making my own detergent. I've seen a few things on Pinterest about that but never knew anyone that did it. I will have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Also, there is only 1 item that I buy that is P&G and that is Tampax. Their brand is just the best. And I will be sure to post on here when I find out more about my laundry detergent issues. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the idea of an indoor course... but that's just me and my being a wus. lol

    Also, I tried chocolate whipped cream that was infused with vodka. It really wasn't by choice (being as how my friend was just shooting it in our faces if we didn't open up), but it was tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jenn @ Run It My WayJanuary 18, 2012 at 9:22 AM

    Ohhh Lakefront path, 100% I'd take running outdoors over treadmill any day, even if it's cold/ frigid :) Plus I've heard it's a beautiful run!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I run outside a lot at home, but I don't live in the city anymore or train on that chilly and windy path. It could lead to an interesting run!

    I just kept thinking that the whipped cream would be divine on hot chocolate or an Irish coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think the Cupid Chase is going to win because it is on my friend's birthday and I'm going to try and help her get to a PR! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've been meaning to try homemade laundry detergent also. I have a couple of friends who swear by how wonderful it works and how cheap it is. I've been using Arm & Hammer baking soda to "pre wash" my workout clothes and then sending them through the regular wash cycle with other clothes then. It has worked! I don't believe Arm & Hammer is P&G?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hmm, I didn't know there were so many options out there! Good to know that I can give a few things a try this weekend!

    Arm & Hammer is NOT P&G :)

    ReplyDelete