Monday, December 12, 2011

Winter Sundays

In addition to having my work holiday party on Friday, a friend had her annual Christmas party on Saturday. My husband and I have not yet been able to attend her party over the last few years so I was happy when our schedule was free for us to go. Because the party went into the late hours, I missed running with my group again on Sunday. I wasn't drinking any alcohol, but I didn't want to run 8 miles on only 4 hours of sleep. However, I didn't let this ruin my run for the weekend.
Old Plank Trail, with a light dusting of snow

Downtown Frankfort, the Grainery
I hit the trails solo around lunch time before the Bears game and got in 8 miles at 9:13 pace in 1 hour and 14 minutes. My foot started to bother me at mile 6, a pain that I haven't felt in over about 2 years. It was cold and I was on my way back so I didn't stop to investigate until I got to my car. I'm going to massage it, take it easy this week and do some more strength foot exercises as part of my regular routine. I think that should help.

Kate and I are running a 5k this weekend in Lemont (the Frigid 5K). We always get pretty competitive with one another so it should be interesting how this race plays out. Kate is training for the Polar Dash half marathon so I'm not sure How fast she plans to run the 5k. I guess I'll find out on Sunday! After the race I will be rushing home to get ready to attend the Bears game. I'm just hoping it isn't too cold, but you never know with this Chicago weather!

Last night I made dinner based on yet another Pinterest recipe (found here). I like recipes that are really easy and include mostly things we have around the house. Since my husband is vegetarian, we always have ingredients on hand for Mexican food since tacos and wraps are so easy to make with beans and fake meat. I assembled everything which only took about 5-10 minutes. The recipe called for a cooking time of 20-25 minutes. I cooked it for 23 minutes but it probably could have used another 5 to 7 minutes. I am excited to be eating the leftovers today for lunch since it turned out quite delicious.

Prep
Before the oven

Before it was devoured...
Another thing I love about this recipe is that you can change it up however you want. Add Rotel in the layers to make it spicier, add meat, put more vegetables on top or in the layers, use regular salsa if you don't have salsa verde, use whole wheat tortillas... There are so many different options, I will most definitely be making this dish again. It is perfect for a cool winter night (or to drown out the Bears Fan Blues)!

3 comments:

  1. Yum, that looks so good! I didn't know your husband is a vegetarian! Mine is too. And I am vegan. :) My husband likes fake meat products so much he started a website to sell them :)

    What is the pain in your foot? Are you feeling better?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm not vegetarian but the husband is! He went through a period when he was vegan, but it was too hard when we moved from the big city to the suburbs. And let's back up the train on this fake meat website!? Do tell please!!!! Our local grocery store just started selling Tofurkey so we don't have to drive the 45 minutes to Whole Foods. So, we are both pretty happy about that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And the foot is feeling okay today. I rolled it out with the foam roller and I think that helped. I also plan on wearing gym shoes all week, instead of my usual high heels. It is a slight pain underneath my big toe. I'm going to take it easy this week and see how it goes. If things don't perk up, I may take some time off. TBD...

    ReplyDelete