Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Miles for Magic

Quite a few folks at my work are part of a charity running group. When I first joined the firm, I was training for the Chicago Marathon and already had a set program. Now that the post-marathon dust has settled, I was asked to join the team. I knew it was a matter of time that I would asked, considering all runners at our firm run for this charity. I turned in my form and am now officially part of the team! The fund raising minimum is small as the charity doesn't have a lot of overheard. There are different programs that I can do to raise money (guest bartending, bake sale, etc.) where I won't have to hound my family for cash. I might do a few things on this blog too, so we'll see how it goes!

The name of the charity is Miles for Magic. The charity performs magic with kids and teaches kids the same magic while children are in the hospital, at their bedsides. Here is more info on what the charity does. It is a great way to help kids and their families smile while they are going through a tough time. I knew I wanted to help raise money for a charity for my next race, and I think I found a really great one that I know can work with my crazy schedule.

Last night I pumped iron at the gym (aka did some arm workouts with 5 lb free weights and some ab workouts too). I felt good actually kind-of knowing what I was doing since working out with Amanda last weekend. My local gym has several different locations, and I recently found out that one close to me offers FREE classes! I cannot get over my excitement!!! They have cardio kickboxing on Wednesdays and Zumba on Mondays at a time that is actually reasonable for someone who works during the day!!! (Class starts at 6:30pm on both days.) As there is no CCD next week Wednesday due to Christmas, I'm going to see if I can go to class. I of course will let you know how it turns out. I've never been to a Zumba or Cardio Kickboxing class. Does anyone have any feedback for the type of workout you receive?

P.S. I don't know if you folks follow Skinny Runner's blog, but she's been posting some unflattering running pictures that have been cracking me up. I think that 90% of running photos are unflattering of most people. I sent her some of mine so be sure to look for some great shots of yours truly later on today!

4 comments:

  1. I used to do a kickboxing class at bally's. Usually you get a pretty good workout! Depends on the instructor, mine was AWESOME and HARD!! LOVE a good sweat!

    Never tried Zumba but heard it's awesome too!
    I'm so glad, even though New Lenox isn't too too close to me, I would totally go once a week or something for a class! I loved classes I attended at Bally's! But it really does depend on the instructor!

    *Excited!!*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Schedules permitting, hopefully we can do a class together this winter! Mondays usually work better for me but I'm going to test it out on Wednesday...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My "pumping iron" is very simlar. Sometimes I even get crazy and do side bends with the kettlebell... WOAH. :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOAH! I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way at the gym. I did something with the medicine ball too so I felt like a pro. Haha!

    ReplyDelete