Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Christmas and "Vintage" Race Photos

Every year my work friends and I would meet up at the Chriskindle market in Chicago and eat a delicious potato pancake lunch. Yesterday was this glorious day. I looked forward to it all morning and it certainly lived up to expectations!
Potato pancake lunch (already ate 1 before I took this pic)

When I got home from work last night Toph (the husband) had made dinner. Fake meat chicken breast, grilled zucchini, and mac and cheese. It was delicious and totally hit the spot. After dinner we got in my car and drove around to look at Christmas lights. I had a few places I wanted to stop (such as Candy Cane Lane in Mokena and a few mansions in New Lenox). Then, we heard about the cool lights at Odyssey Fun World. "Cool" is an understatement. When you pull up, there is a sign telling you to change to a specific radio station. Yes, the lights then blink and correspond to the music! It was really awesome to watch and I highly recommend it to anyone that lives in the area. Even our dog stood still for 5 minutes to watch (I think she was just confused).

After dinner and our excursion, it was time to hit the gym. Since my weekend schedule was a little hectic, I did some weights and went for a run after. I tried a variation of the progression run I saw in RW.

I don't know if it was because I ran after lifting or the incline was too high (I usually run at 1.0 or 1.5. This time it was at 1.5) but those 2.25 miles seemed much harder than usual. I like the idea of a progression run though. With my race experience over the weekend where I started out too fast (and this is not the first time this has happened), I think this patience thing is something I need to work on. I shall try this workout again!

After the run, I decided to hop on the spin bike for a tune and do some workouts I remembered from spin class. I got through one song (David Guetta and Usher's "Without You") and decided I was tired and it was time to go home. When I got home I had just enough time to brush my teeth and go to bed before 10pm. I would consider that a productive day! Granted, the house is still a mess, laundry still needs to be done, the dog needs a bath, and I still have to buy Christmas presents.... but there are only so many hours in a day.

In other news, I received an email this morning from MarathonFoto telling me that all my Shamrock Shuffle race photos can be found in one place. Since my race photos are split between my married name and maiden name, I was pretty pumped to see the photos from my first Shamrock Shuffle in 2007 (still waiting to hear back about my 2008 photos). I don't know what was up with my hair that day/week/year, but these photos made me smile, big time.

How far back do you have race photos? Have your photos gotten better with age or worse? My race face is still the same! (Then: 2007, Now: 2011) Haha

11 comments:

  1. Candy Cane Lane! I used to live right by there (basically two blocks south, on the other side of the train tracks). Also I pass by Odyssey Fun World every night on my way home from work, I've noticed the crazy techno lights but didn't realize how involved they were. I'll have to check it out sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the blinking lights from afar in the Target parking lot and was totally amazed! We heard Frosty, Jingle Bell Rock, and a song from the Nutcracker. The Nutcracker one was THE BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At the beginning of the holiday season, I said over and over how I wanted to go to the market! Did I go? No. Lame. I also didn't see the Macy's windows. I really suck at this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not too late! You can still go to the market (except they're sold out of the boot shaped mugs for spiced wine)! I haven't been to the Macy's windows in a few years. Ever since seeing the windows in New York when I was there a few years back, the Chicago ones just seem lame in comparison...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw some of the Macy's windows this year, I wasn't impressed. Maybe it's because I was a kid back then but I feel like the windows were much better with it was Field's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did not know about Odessy Fun World's lights! Super close to my house, I think I will hve to go!

    I only have the very first photo of the 5k I ever did and I look like I'm about to keel over

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found out about them last night and my mind.was.blown!!! That is cool that you have a pic from your first 5k! What year did you run it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1st street in Mokena, right off of Schoolhouse Rd, in between 191st and LaPorte! A whole cul-de-sac where every house is decorated!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 9/20/03. My friend was turning 30 (clearly she is much older! haha) and wanted to run her first 5k and asked me to join her. It was for an AIDS run. They automatically sent you a finish picture! I'll have to scan it and post it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, you most certainly do!!! I still haven't had time to look for old photos from my old computer. I briefly glanced last night with no luck.

    ReplyDelete