Thursday, November 17, 2011

Who Fartleked?

For the 2nd year, I'm teaching CCD (religious education) at my church. This year it is every Wednesday from 6:45-8:00. Not too bad for one day a week. Mel posted in the RFK website yesterday that a group of people was going to run the Turkey Trot route at 6:30. They never meet at 6:30! I was so bummed I couldn't make it, so I decided to run 4 miles on my own, after CCD. I thought I would give this fartlek thing a try. I like to think of it as "spastic running." From the descriptions that I've read, a fartlek is a run with burst of different speeds throughout. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason, so I went out and did it. It felt great and I loved the bursts of speed to break things up. My stomach felt much better as I ate dinner around 5:30 on the train home.

My trail shoes felt bulky and heavy when running on the sidewalk. They felt much more "at home" when running in the grass. I can't explain it better, but I'm definitely looking forward to using them at the Turkey Trot and this winter in the snow. This weekend Amanda and I are running the Turkey Trot route (plus a few extra miles) with our pace leader, Jeanne. Looking forward to getting out there and tackling those hills! If I have time today, I'd like to do my PT exercises at lunch and maybe cross train, but we'll see how that works out.
Hot Chocolate jacket, RFK Pink Ribbon short sleeved tee, Nike v-neck long sleeved, Target running tights (from the boys section), Under Armor gloves, Saucony trail shoes (RFK!), headband

2 comments:

  1. Love the post title Kelly! I've never tried Fartlek. Maybe we should "Fartlek" together one night. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw someone with this on the back of a race shirt during the Chicago Marathon. It made me giggle. I may or may not have run a fartlek just so I could use the term. Haha

    ReplyDelete