Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Pup is Back

I did some speed work last night, a route I've had in my head for a week or so. I did roughly 6x 400m sprints with a jogging 6x 200m in-between for a total of 2.1 miles. I felt fine during the run, but those sprints felt like they would go on forever! The average overall pace at the end was 8:16. I was debating whether or not to do one more loop and round it out at 2.5-3.0 miles, but decided against it since my next race is only a 5k.

While I was running these sprints, I thought quite a bit about the Polar Dash. I've decided that if I do the run, I'm not going to push it super hard and run with Kate. I'm trying to build up a strong base to have a solid half marathon in May. I'm worried if I train too hard in too short of a time frame, I set myself up for injury and disappointment. I've only been running 3 days a week since the marathon, and I've been thinking about adding a 4th day. I know Kate has been training harder since she has been planning to run this race for the past few months. She's doing the intermediate Hal Higdon schedule and I'm not up to that caliber, yet. I know if I run with her, I can't help myself but get competitive. I'll want to push hard during the race and since I won't have the base of training, I feel I am setting myself up for disappointment. I still have some time to think about it and Jeanne (my Chicago marathon pace leader) said she might be interested. I still have some time to decide.

My pup went with me for the run last and helped drag me along to the end of each sprint. She hasn't been out for a run with me since she was spayed 3 weeks ago. She saw me getting out my running stuff, and she was following me around the house until we left. (See video below of her excitement) I should have taken a picture of my outfit because I looked like a real runnerd. Reflective vest, pepper spray, iPod, headband, Under Armor gloves, head light, my Garmin... My husband couldn't help but giggle, and I knew I looked ridiculous. However, cars could see me and I was safe. Even the pup had on a blinking light!


3 comments:

  1. Haha! Love Pepper's head when you are asking her if she wants to run! Too cute!

    I miss running...cry cry cry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I look pretty goofy in my running stuff this time of year, but at least we're all in it together. And not just running, once it gets real cold and I bust out my ankle-length down coat, all bets are off. I am only trying to impress everyone with how warm I am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda, Pepper was so excited to run, I could barely contain her. Maggie, I was just talking with my MIL about this. Once it gets to be freezing cold, all cuteness is out the window. This is Chicago. We know what we're doing.

    ReplyDelete